Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Our Farewell Celebration


I first read about farewell celebrations on a wonderful website www.stillbirthday.com. When I read about it I knew we would have one. We decided to go to one of our favorite spots, Morris Island lighthouse at the end of Folly Beach. It was a beautiful day. My parents and close friends of ours joined us. I read a letter I wrote to the babies and Dru read a couple of poems.

Ila released two flowers that floated away in the water towards the lighthouse. It was really beautiful and it honestly felt like full closure. Afterward, we played in the water and found starfish and seashells. We went to lunch and then Dru and I went and had a couples massage. It was just a beautiful day and a wonderful way to honor and celebrate our babies.
The letter to my babies:
To my dear sweet babies,

A child comes into a parent's life and teaches them many things. Parents are taught to slow down, to love, to appreciate what they have, to grow, to become better people. You have done all of these things for me. Both of you. You have done your jobs well sweet ones and I am forever proud of you. I feel I might not have been able to love any of your brothers and sisters quite as deeply had you not been a part of my life.
I hope you are happy, safe and warm. I hope you feel loved. I hope you know how much we wanted you. I hope you know that the arrival of your brother or sister in no way lessens our love for you. You are forever a part of us.
I wish I could hold you. I wish I could watch and help you grow. I wish I could watch you splash in mud puddles and push you on a swing. I wish I could watch your sister and you play and love together. I wish I could watch you discover and follow your dreams.
I feel you with me. I hope I will always. You are both amazing and I am forever thankful for you. Take care sweet ones. Until we meet again.

Love you til the stars turn cold,
Mommy


The beautiful poems Dru read:

"These are my footprints,
so perfect and so small.
These tiny footprints
never touched the ground at all.
Not one tiny footprint,
for now I have wings.
These tiny footprints were meant
for other things.
You will hear my tiny footprints,
in the patter of the rain.
Gentle drops like angel's tears,
of joy and not from pain.
You will see my tiny footprints,
in each butterflies' lazy dance.
I'll let you know I'm with you,
if you just give me the chance.
You will see my tiny footprints,
in the rustle of the leaves.
I will whisper names into the wind,
and call each one that grieves.
Most of all, these tiny footprints,
are found on Mommy and Daddy's hearts.
'Cause even though I'm gone now,
We'll never truly part."
~Unknown


"I know I'll see the sun shine bright
upon my baby's face....
When I finally get to heaven,
all my pain will be erased.

We'll soar the skies together,
as angels two by two.
We'll have a sweet reunion,
Your parents’ dream come true!"
~Unknown

“What we have once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” -Helen Keller.

We are thankful that we have a beautiful place that will always make us think of you. We love you sweet babies.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Brandi. What a great way to honor your sweet babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful letter. I once read a book called Family Constellations and it talked about how sometimes issues can come up with the children on earth, because they feel loyal to the spirit babies, and because the parents are not really acknowledging the spirit babies and making them feel apart of the family, so the children on earth can start acting out in response to the dynamic... Sorry if that makes no sense at all, its hard to sum up the book in one paragraph. But I think its great you included your daughter and I am sure you are being very honest with her about your loss and she feels secure in that authentic energy you are bringing. Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie. I guess I never thought about not including Ila. She knew there was a baby and then she knew there wasn't. She grieved right along with us. I will always be honest with her and be honest with this baby about the fact that he/she had a twin. I believe they already know all of this anyways which goes along with the book you were talking about that I will have to look up.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing honor it is to be included in this precious, personal, beautiful account of your Farewell Celebration. I am very sorry for the loss of your babies, but I am also thankful that you found inspiration to create the perfect Farewell Celebration for your family. Every thing you did is so very special, and I poured tears reading your letter.

    Thank you for sharing such a special experience with others.

    May you find continued healing...

    Blessings,
    Heidi Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi. I am so thankful for finding your site and I hope more people find strength and healing through other people's experiences. Thank you for everything that you do.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...