Monday, February 27, 2012

CSA-Community Supported Agriculture

We love fresh, local produce. Who doesn't? It tastes better and it's better for you and the economy. I have also just discovered that a lot of organic foods at certain grocery stores (yes, including Whole Foods) are not really organic. They are made in China. The best way we have discovered to get local produce every week is through our CSA. You basically buy a share of produce from a farm. You are an investor in the farm and you take the same risks and benefits as the farmer. We lost a week last summer because it was just so hot that nothing was growing. However, when the fall CSA started, we got two weeks added on early because the weather was cooperating.

The farm that we get our produce from is about 40 minutes away from our house. I know I will not drive there every week. Luckily, they have a delivery service. Every Thursday, we drive to another CSA members house, about ten minutes away, and pick up our bag of produce. We also get a dozen fresh, local, organic eggs which are absolutely delicious!

You do not get to choose what's in your bag. It depends on what is harvested that week. This is actually something I love. I love having all these vegetables that I've never tried before. I have discovered that I really like tat soi and beets. I had never heard of tat soi before and I almost never bought beets. Also, if you think you don't like a certain vegetable, try it from a local farm. The radishes we get are unlike anything you can buy in the store and are just delicious. I make my menu for the week based on the vegetables we get in our CSA.

Here is the breakdown of the cost. It is $16 a week for a small share. There is a $2 delivery fee per week. It is $4.75 per week for a dozen eggs. Our CSA goes almost all year long excluding July and August when it is terribly hot and during those months, I go through CSA withdrawal and can't wait for it start back up again.


From this weeks CSA minus some strawberries that got eaten on the way home. Scallions, swiss chard, bok choy, arugula, carrots, spinach, beets, radishes, head lettuce, strawberries.


We do Ambrose Farm CSA and have nothing but wonderful things to say. It is time to sign up for the spring CSA which begins the first week of April! Support your local farmers! You can learn more and sign up here: http://www.stonofarmmarket.com/ambrosefamilyfarmcsa.html


Picking strawberries at Ambrose Farm U-pick strawberry field! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...